No Wheat - No Milk Clay
Homemade modeling clay and play dough
|No Wheat - No Milk
Most easy modeling dough or play dough that I've seen call for wheat or
milk products. Here is a recipe for play clay that does not. It's not as
smooth textured as other dough and is better for flattening and cutting
with cookie cutters to make ornaments or mobile shapes.
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup cornstarch
1. Mix salt and hot water in a pan and heat to boiling point.
2. Stir cold water into cornstarch in a separate bowl.
3. While stirring, slowly add cornstarch mixture to boiling water.
Continue stirring to break up any clumps and lumps.
4. Cook this mixture over low heat while stirring constantly. Cook until
mixture is stiff like pie dough.
5. Remove from heat and turn out onto a non-stick surface to cool.
6. As soon as clay is cool enough to handle, knead like bread, until
smooth and pliable.
This clay dries and hardens in one to two days, depending on the
humidity. When it is dry it is a white color and can be painted with
To store clay, put in a Ziploc bag or other airtight container. It needs
no refrigeration. Yields about one and a half cups of clay.
*Children should always be supervised when preparing or cooking in the